The Healing Power of Epsom Salt
Epsom salt, also known as Magnesium Sulphate has been around for hundreds of years and is one of the most effective recovery supplements for training. Use of Epsom salt in warm baths have shown to improve circulation, reduce swelling, relieve stress, and even soften skin! And what’s even better is that you can typically get instant relief as these minerals are absorbed very effectively by your body’s latest organ, your skin!
High physical stress such as that from intense exercise can deplete your body of magnesium which can cause muscle cramps, aches, pains, and even cause you to have a bad mood. One of your body’s natural reactions to stress is inflammation, which can also be treated by Epsom salt baths. Soaking or bathing also allows your body to absorb as much of the minerals as needed to relax large muscle groups, even from a stressful day at work. If you are suffering from lingering tightness or injury (as I am right now), Epsom salt baths can be a great way to recover. The minerals in Epsom salt help to balance out your body’s fine electrochemical balance.
Here’s a quick Epsom Salt Soak recipe to help you alleviate any soreness:
What you’ll need:
– 2-4 cups of Epsom salt (for a typical bath tub)
– 2 tablespoons of dried lavender flowers
– 4 drops of your choice of essential oils (lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, etc)
Here’s how to make it:
1) Draw a bath at the warmest temperature that you can enjoy WITHOUT burning yourself :]
2) Add the Epsom salts (2-4 cups)
3) Allow the salts to dissolve completely
4) Add your essential oil and dried lavender
5) Soak for at least 15 minutes while relaxing. Add a little calming music to help score your experience.